Transfering files using ubuntu

HomeForumsMonoBrick EV3 FirmwareTransfering files using ubuntu

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Author Image
    Kristian Jensen
    Participant

This is probably just a trivial problem as it looks from your instruction like I should be able to transfer programs via usb without problems.

I have recently started experimenting with monobrick. I am using Lubuntu 14.04.
    I connected the EV3 via usb and ran the test application without problems.
    Now I want to use the monobrick .NET firmware to actually upload and run programs on the EV3 and I have run into problems connecting via usb.
    I have moved the ‘debug’ directory where my ‘Test1.exe’ is located. When I follow the instructions, issuing following:
    sudo scp *.* root@10.0.1.1:~/apps/Test1
    I end up getting the error message:
    ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.1 port 22: No route to host
    lost connection

At first, there was no ip address associated with usb0. Running ‘ifconfig’ stated that the usb had been recognised when I plugged in the EV3. I tried manually assigning an ip to the usb via:
    sudo ifconfig usb0 10.0.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    but I still get the same error message.

I notice that instruction are given for ‘Monobrick Firmware’ -> ‘Setting up usb connection’ for Windows and Mac but not for Linux. Also, these instruction mention the RNDIS driver. Could this be my problem? that this driver is not enabled?

I hope that I have described the issue well enough and that someone is able to help.

Thank you.

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi there

I am Sorry to let you know that I have not use a lot of time on this so I haven’t actually done it. But I did some google searching and came by the following link that might help you connect to the brick over USB. Please let us all know when you figure out a way to get this working :-). I will then add a new Linux section to the guide.

Please be aware that you can always use WiFi to ssh to the brick….

/Anders

Author Image
    Tcm0
    Participant

There are problems using Wifi as well (at least when I installed Xamarin on my ubuntu partition). There was no current Xamarin built avaible as package and your plugin isn’t compatible with the version online.
    That means that you have to compile Xamarin Studio on your own and you have to install some dependencies for that.

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi there Max

Let us just and keep things separated. This guy is trying to get the USB connection working on Ubuntu so he can manually to transfer files to his brick. He is not using the plugin. In order to achieve this he must get the RNDIS driver working on his installation. I posted a link that should help him get started.

My closing comment about using WiFi has nothing to do with Ubuntu. If the brick is connected to a WiFi network you can communicate with it from either Windows (using Putty), Mac or Linux/Unix over SSH and easily transfer files. So your comment about WiFi not working makes no sense… I guess that you where talking about the Xamarin plugin?

Your claim about the plugin not work on Linux/Ubuntu is simply not true. As you correctly says Xamarin Studio does not exists for Linux/Unix. On these systems you use MonoDevelop. Since Xamarin Studio is a rebranded version of MonoDevelop that uses platform-specific code to enhance the look and feel on Windows and Mac OS the plugin for MonoBrick works without problem with MonoDevelop. Just to show what it looks like on Linux I have provided a few screenshots.

/Anders

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi Kristian

Seems that I posted the wrong link in my first post. The one that I wanted to post was this one. Please let me know how it goes.

/Anders

Author Image
    Kristian Jensen
    Participant

Thank you Anders.
    The info in the link solved the issue and worked perfectly. I can now ssh to the brick as well as transfer files using scp.

I ammended the ‘/etc/network/interfaces’ file (remember to open the file as root) by adding ‘iface usb0 inet dhcp’. (I tried without the ammendment but the system them gave an errror message stating ‘Ignoring unknown interface usb0=usb0’ when issuing the next command.

‘sudo ifup usb0’

et voilá… my linux machine was issued an ip of 10.0.1.10 and I could now contact the brick via ip 10.0.1.1.

Note: It looks like ‘sudo ifdown usb0’ must be issued when disconnecting the brick and before reconnecting. Otherwise it will not reconnect and will issue a message ‘ifup: interface usb0 already configured’.
    But running ‘sudo ifdown usb0’ and then ‘sudo ifup usb0’ will reconnect.

Once again thank you for the help and I am looking forward to experimenting with Monobrick coding.

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi

That is great news. Would you mind creating the missing section for the USB tutorial? I will of course give you credit for it.

/Anders

Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply. I am travelling quite a bit at the moment and have been kept busy.

I would be glad to contribute by writing a section for the USB tutorial. But I am having trouble seeing exactly how this is to be done. Of course, I can write the text and include screen dumps but I do not seem to be able to edit or send suggestions for revisions of the web site.
    Do I send this to you and then you edit the site???
    Or do I leave it as a reply to this post with the instructions attached? If so, what file type would you like?

/Kristian

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi Again

Sorry for the late reply. Just drop me a mail at anders At soborg.net… then we can get the conversation going.

Thanks

/Anders

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in

Make a donation