Updating/merging LeJOS 0.5.0-alpha

HomeForumsMonoBrick EV3 FirmwareUpdating/merging LeJOS 0.5.0-alpha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Author Image
    rosc77
    Participant

Hi,

Any plans to update to LeJOS 0.5.0-alpha? Bluetooth just works fine with it and the java part also works well.

I think by combining some of the efforts, there could be ONE firmware that fits both Java and .Net needs.

What do you think? Do I miss something or would that be just a win-win?

Cheers,
    Roland

PS. Also – Microsoft provided a nice API for remotely controlling the brick. Maybe a harmonization of APIs would be great – also for non-.Net langugages.

Author Image
    Lars Jeppesen
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, we are planing to update to the new LeJOS image, also in order to get USB Ethernet support.
    But we don’t currently have any plans to merge the two images.

PS. I wasn’t aware of this Microsoft API, we will look into that.

Regards
    Lars

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi

I am aware of the Microsoft EV3 API but regarding

…Maybe a harmonization of APIs would be great – also for non-.Net langugages.

there are no plans for harmonising MonoBrick Communication library and the Microsoft API…

Anders

Author Image
    rosc77
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Regarding the API – it’s always good to have own plans and a roadmap, the only thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes it’s worthwile to just get in touch with others and try to increase momentum. The guys at LeJOS might be as open as you could be.

…just my 2 cents…

Roland

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi Roland

Thanks for showing interest in MonoBrick Firmware and the MonoBrick communication library. If I came across as dismissive I am sorry. However a harmonization of the Microsoft API and MonoBrick would just mean extra work for me. Time that I would rater spend on the MonoBrick firmware – and what would the benefit be. I actually like the fact that you have different choices – some prefer MonoBrick communication library over Microsoft API and vice versa.

Concerning the Image I also fell that two different firmwares are ok. Our image is based on the LeJos image – without the LeJos teams awesome work there would be no MonoBrick firmware. However there are some differences between the two (and in the future more will be added) which would require some effort if they should be combined – and again what would the benefit be compared to the time you would have to put into a thing like that.

If you want to have a image that offer more that both Lejos and MonoBrick firmware you should definitely have a look at ev3dev. It should be possible to install Mono on the image and then use our DLL to control your robots.

Anders

Author Image
    rosc77
    Participant

Hi Anders,

You’re completely right – and I fully agree to your priorization.

Keep up your excellent work!

Roland

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in

Make a donation