Error when building with Xamarin

HomeForumsMonoBrick EV3 FirmwareError when building with Xamarin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Author Image
    Martin Wagner
    Participant

Hi Anders, hi Lars,

When trying to build the latest version from the repository with Xamarin on Win7 I encountered the same problem as a couple of months ago:
    Build failed. Could not find type ‘System.Globalization.SortVersion’.
    Further details see attached picture.

The forum at Xamarin only refers to the next version of mono:

The latest mono version I could find was 3.3.0 (although different sites claim to distribute 3.4.0 , ).

Can you confirm this error?
    Do you have a work-around, so I could catch up with the current version of monobrick’s master branch?
    I know times have been busy, but do you have an idea when you will publish version 2.0?

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Martin

P.S.: The MonoBrickAddin does not load: Unknown solution item type. See second picture

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi Martin.

Concerning the first issue. Yes currently the master branch does not build – just about to fix it.
    To fix the second issue you need to download the Add-in builder for Xamarin Studio. Once this add-in has been installed you can build the add-in – the MonoBrick add-in that is 🙂

Hopefully I will have it ready this week. I have already updated/created some new guides – so we should be ready soon.

Anders

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi again

Just avoid building the startup app then you should be ok for now.

Anders

Author Image
    Martin Wagner
    Participant

Hi Anders,
    the problem did not go away even, when only building the firmware dll.

So I cleared all Mono and Xamarin stuff from my laptop and started from scratch with Mono 3.2.3 and Xamarin 5.0.1.
    After solving some problems with ASP-AddIns, I finally managed to build the most simple “hello” world” command-line, but with the .Net-runtime only. As soon as you try to build with mono, I get the error

Could not find type ‘System.Globalization.SortVersion’.

again. There definitely seems to be a general error in mono.

I tried to get more updated mono versions. The mono-project still sells V3.2 as V3.4, which is available for macOS only. I found an interesting article on code-project () how to build more recent mono versions from source code. But the V3.4-binaries provided there didn’t solve this problem.

I hope this helps a little bit in getting the next mono-brick-version running for windows-user, too.
    If can help somehow, please let me know.

Martin

P.S.: When releasing the next SD-card-images, could you reduce the size a little bit (e.g. 4GB->3.8GB) to avoid the “does not fit”-error which I experienced, too.

Author Image
    Martin Wagner
    Participant

When returning to Xamarin <=V4.2.3 as mentioned in the net, the build error changes to

Error building target GetReferenceAssemblyPaths: UNC paths should be of the form \\server\share.

Again for a “hello world” command-line, without any mono-brick reference.
    But the windows world starts with “C:\Users\…”
    🙁

Author Image
    Martin Wagner
    Participant

If anybody got a working Xamarin + mono combination on Win7 with VisualStudio installed, please let me know. And how to obtain those specific versions.

Author Image
    Vlad Ruzov
    Participant

Martin,

I use Xamarin 5.2 with Mono 3.3.0 on win 7 for build EV3 Mono C# projects.

To avoid ‘System.Globalization.SortVersion’ build error You need uncheck ‘Use MSBuild engine’ option at Project -> <YourProjectName> Options -> General.

You can see more details here:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/16467/build-failed-could-not-find-type-system-globalization-sortversion

Vlad.

Author Image
    Martin Wagner
    Participant

Hi Vlad,
    thanks for providing the precise path to this setting. I had found this posting before, but could not find the setting (searching in Tools-Options…, Project-Solution-…) and thought it’s something which is available in the Mac-Version only.
    Now it’s working fine!! Thanks!
    Martin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in

Make a donation