Difference between .brake() and .off() in motors?

HomeForumsMonoBrick EV3 FirmwareDifference between .brake() and .off() in motors?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Author Image
    Matthew Lawson
    Participant

First off, MonoBrick is amazing. I’m not a fan of the Lego-supplied drag and drop programming, and for a while I thought the only alternative was leJOS. I really am not a fan of Java, but I have used C# for as long as I’ve been programming and love it. Thanks a ton for making something some awesome and putting it out there!

I also have a question about the difference between using .brake() and .off() on a motor/vehicle. The docs say that .brake() leaves the motor/vehicle on, but that it does not move. What is the benefit of using this vs. just turning it off? Does it resume from .brake() faster than .off() perhaps, or is there something else of which I’m not aware?

Author Image
    Anders Søborg
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for using MonoBrick firmware

Try to grab the motor. When it is off you can rotate it with your fingers while brake will apply some current so the motor holds it current position. Try to make the motor move at full speed. Sleep one second and then apply either off or brake. Then you should definitely be able to see the difference.

Anders

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in

Make a donation